What is Ultimate?
Ultimate is a team sport played on a grass field with end zones similar to those used in American football. Each team has 7 players on the field in games to 17 points. Teams advance the disc by passing it to one another, with one point scored for each time it's caught in the end zone. No player can run with the disc, and the opposing team may intercept the disc at any time while it is in the air.
Athletes must possess an incredible combination of endurance, speed, agility, technique, and teamwork. Because the sport is played without referees, the athletes share a strong commitment to fair play, even in top competition. Players must arbitrate their own calls in the heat of competition using a well-refined system of rules. Invented in 1968, organized competition now takes place on six continents.
At WUGC2012, competition will occur in 5 divisions
- Open - no age or gender restriction
- Women's - women of any age
- Mixed - at least 3 players of each gender on the field at one time
- Open Masters - no gender restriction, 33 years or older
- Women Masters - women of 30 years or older
* At least 6 national members should be participating to establish the division.